Saturday 16 November 2013

Networking is not a one night stand! How to Follow Up on Networking Contacts

by Karl Smith - TheNetworkingGuy

MOTIVATIONAL BUSINESS SPEAKER/EXECUTIVE COACH/NETWORKING, PERSONAL BRANDING, REFERRAL MARKETING STRATEGIST/AUTHOR
Effective networking during trade shows can help build business relationships that turn into “referral machines” for you. Regrettably many companies invest millions in exhibitions at the trade shows and conferences with little or no ROI.

On a recent afternoon, Natacha, regional sales manager for a Connectivity enterprise in the telecommunications industry, utilized my expertise to prepare her team for AfricaCom - Africa's largest annual communications Congress and Exhibition – currently in progress at the Cape Town International Convention Centre.


I stopped by during lunch time without notice and Natacha was delighted with her team’s performance during the past few days. “Karl, my team has worked this event for the first time and they have so much fun in doing it’, she proclaimed with pride! I was pleased as I have given them a money-back guarantee.

I then reminded her that the gold is always in the follow up and that they must act on the follow up plan when they are back in their office next week. Typically, my follow up plan starts with a message ( and in most instances an email message) unless otherwise agreed to in ending a meaningful conversation.

Here are things Natacha’s team and you can do in the first follow-up message:
• Mention the meeting and the conversation.
• Refer to something specific that came up in the conversation, especially a mutual interest.
• Suggest a way to continue the conversation.
• Attach an article or include a link that will please the other person (not a hard-selling piece and for goodness sake, please avoid lengthy company profiles. Networking is not a one night stand!).
• Mention a next step you will take.

I have written a few samples below. I hope at least one of these will be a useful template for follow-up messages for you.

Subject Line: Nice Meeting You At The AfricaCom Congress and Exhibition

Dear Karl,

What fun it was to meet you in Cape Town last week at the AfricaCom (INSERT YOUR OWN EVENT). Inspired by our conversation about our love of telecoms & media, I have attached one of my recent articles about my outlook on the industry. My secret insight may be of value to you and your team.

I would enjoy having lunch or coffee with you when I am in London the first week in February next year . If you will be available, I would appreciate learning more about your export business and sharing information about our company.

As soon as I know the details of my schedule, I will write to you again with an invitation.

Best regards,

Frank Mbiena
****************************************
Dear Professor Crofton

It was a pleasure talking with you at the AfricaCom conference and exhibition held in Cape Town last week. I enjoyed learning about your work investigating connectivity in Africa. Since we talked, I read the research paper you recommended. As you predicted, I found the data surprising.

You expressed an interest in learning more about my work with business networking training in Africa , and it would be my pleasure to tell you about it. I will let you know when I will be in Johannesburg again, and perhaps we can schedule a meeting. You may also be interested in my website , in which I publish articles [www.businessnetworkingsouthafrica.co.za].

I will write or phone you to request a meeting.

Sincerely,

Karl- The Networking Guy
****************************************
Notice I didn’t say:
• “My company specializes in helping companies get more business through networking and referrals.”
• “Please find attached a PowerPoint presentation that shows how my company can get your company’s sales people to build powerful networks.”
• “I would love to meet with you and your boss and talk about how my company can increase your revenue.”

The key to a follow up after an industry event is not to make it about making a sale. Please don’t keep me a secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment